blocking out

circular illogic

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Ryan Cabrera: Rock Superstar

I thought that Ryan Cabrera was a one-trick pony after his mega-hit, "On the Way Down." Boy howdy, was I wrong.

After seeing the video for his newest hit, "True," I realized that this guy had a whole lot more to offer. His artistic merit is so transcending that it resonates in the very titles of his songs. Here's a list of my favs from his album, "Take It All Away":

"Shame on Me"
"Take It All Away"
"Let's Take Our Time"
"Exit to Exit"
"I Know What It Feels Like"

...and my all-time favorite, "40 Kinds of Sadness."

Song titles like these tickle me in a way that I don't get tickled enough.

First of all, the depth of emotion required to feel forty different types of sadness is amazing. I've got like three: lonely-sad, pain-sad, and hungry-sad. Right now, I'm hugnry-sad. Assuming that Ryan is still without his lady (yeah, right!) he is over 13 times sadder than I am when I'm sitting alone on a Friday night with a broken arm and an empty fridge. That's about as sad as I ever get, and this dude is still way, way sadder.

I guess that's why he's the superstar.

Speaking of reasons why Ryan Cabrera is a rock 'n' Roll legend in the making, check out these lyrics from the song in question:

"I feel 40 kinds of sadness when you're gone
I feel the same thing always happens when you're gone"

Did you catch that? He rhymes "gone" with "gone." Not only that, he establishes--TWICE!--that he feels forty kinds of sadness every single time that this girl leaves. Oh Jesus, I pray that he is talking about Ashlee Simpson because I too feel as sad as can be when any song but "Pieces of Me" is playing.

Fun factoid: Ryan Cabrera has a song called "Take It All Away" and Ashlee Simpson has a song called, "Giving It All Away." I'll let you figure out what "It" really is.

Speaking of "It" in a different context, "It" is what Ryan Cabrera has. It's what he's got. He's got IT. It's that extra something that makes a shiny Ferrari shine shinier than a shiny Buick. It's that lil' something-something that makes a rainbow look like a rain-I-don't-think-so. Compared to Ryan, natural phenomena look pallid and tawdry.

If Ryan Cabrera is a one-trick pony, then that "trick" is being the most versatile and salient superstar or our age, all ages heretofore and yet to come, as well as all the other ages of other people that I can't even handle thinking about.

Think about that... if you can.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, that sure is quite the insite on Ryan that you've got there. LOL. I was looking for the only song, that I've ever herd from Ryan and couldn't think of the title which happens to be "On the way Down" so you say, it's a great one. I've never herd any of his other songs, I bet they are great too. He is hot!.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home